Dr. Maria Montessori consistently told her teachers or directresses to “Follow the lead of the child.” Therefore, as we look at two year old children, we see the following:
- Two year olds are in the process of mastering their own environment. Learning to wash their hands, to scrub a table, and to button buttons gives them a sense of some control over their environment.
- Two year olds are physical beings. Movement is very important at this age, and children move a great deal both inside the classroom and outside on the playground, promoting development of fine motor and large motor skills.
- Two Year olds are capable of so much learning individually and socially. The Montessori materials are presented in individual and small group lessons. There is a large group lesson each day in addition to the daily group music lesson.
Our Two Year Old Program consists of the following:
- A Safe, Nurturing, Caring, And Warm Learning Environment
- Practical Life Materials To Develop Fine Motor Coordination
- Sensorial Materials to Train the Senses
- Beginning Mathematics And Language
- Science activities
- Gross Motor Activities
- Grace and Courtesy lessons
- Daily Music Lessons
- Art As a Choice During the Work Period
- Fun Circle Times
- Encouraging Independence
- Developing Social Skills
- Toilet-Trained Not Required
- Class Size-15 Children
- Child:Staff ratio max 6:1